- The premarital physical is no longer required.
- Both applicants must provide their Social Security numbers and verification of the number. Applicants may present a Social Security Card or a W-2 Form or company pay stub with name and number for verification.
- An alien admitted to the United States for permanent residence or to engage in employment must be issued a Social Security number. Applicants who are not eligible for a Social Security number may obtain a marriage license by signing an affidavit attesting to this fact. The Affidavit can be printed from the web site or is available at the Register of Deeds Office. (Note: Adobe Reader required to open form.)
- Under the age of 14 is unlawful to marry.
- Applicants 14 or 15 years of age must attain a Court Order by District Court Judge authorizing the marriage.
- Applicants 16 or 17 years of age must have certified copies of their birth certificate and a written parental consent by parent having full or joint legal custody of the underage party; or by a person, agency, or institution having legal custody or serving as a guardian of the underage party. Parental consent form is available at the Register of Deeds Office.
- All applicants must present a valid state issued driver’s license or, state issued ID card or, a certified copy of their birth record.
- All applicants must present a valid state issued driver’s license and must provide their Social Security.
- Divorced applicants must provide the month and year divorce was finalized. Applicants recently divorced (within 30 days) must present original or certified copy of divorce decree. There is no waiting period between the divorce and applying for the new license.
- The license is good immediately upon issuance and is valid for 60 days in the state of NC. It must be returned to the Register of Deeds’ Office in the county in which it was issued within 10 days of the marriage ceremony.
- The fee for the marriage license is $60.00. Cash or checks accepted.
- Marriage licenses are issued between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Applicants should be in our office prior to 4:00 p.m. if possible.
- If you plan to be married by the magistrate, the fee will be $20.00. Please contact their office for information regarding office hours or the ceremony.
- If you need a copy of your marriage license, you may obtain it at the office in person or you may request it by mail. Certified copies are $10.00 each. Please be sure to sign your request if request is sent by mail.
Deputy Register of Deeds
Jacqueline Kirby Duncan
County Administration Building
348 South Main St.
PO Box 186
Sparta, NC 28675
Search/View Deeds Online
Real Estate Checklist
Uniform Commercial Code
Thank a Veteran Discount Program