Frequently Asked Questions – Register of Deeds

If you have questions about our office or the services provided, you may find the answers here. If your answer is not found here, feel free to email this office at, call this office at 336-372-4342, or drop by our office at 348 South Main St., Sparta NC.

What are your hours of operation?

  • The office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Register of Deeds does not accept documents for recording after 4:30 p.m. on any day of the month. Applications for marriage are only accepted between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Are there any special requirements for recording deeds in Alleghany County?

  • Yes. A tax certification form must accompany ALL deeds presented for recording. More information may be obtained from the Alleghany County Tax Office at 336-372-8291.

Can anyone access the information contained in the Register of Deeds Office?

  • Yes. All information in our office is public record, with the exception of military discharge records.

How can I obtain general information about the services offered by the Register of Deeds office?

  • In addition to this web site, users may call 336-372-4342.

How do I transfer names on a deed?

  • You will need to draw up a new deed. You should see an attorney for this service. You will record the document in the Register of Deeds office at a cost of $26.00 for up to 15 pages and then $4.00 for additional pages. You may also have to pay excise tax. The excise tax amount is $2.00 per thousand dollars of the purchase price. Tax certification is required when recording a deed.

How do I obtain an initial appointment or reappointment form for my Notary Public?

  • You may pick up either form from our office or you may print downloadable forms from the Secretary of State website. Please refer to the Secretary of State (919-807-2122) for all information regarding Notary Public law. Upon receiving your confirmation letter, please come to the Register of Deeds Office to take the oath of office.

Do I need an appointment to take my notary oath? What should I bring with me?

  • No appointment is necessary. Come in any time between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. If you have your green notice from the Secretary of State’s office, bring it with you. The $10.00 fee is payable by cash or local check.

Can I obtain a copy of a birth certificate from your office?

  • Alleghany County Register of Deeds keeps records only for births occurring in Alleghany County. Requests are honored by mail or in person. For more information call 336-372-4342, download the form available on this website under Vital Records Application, or request records online. Vital Records houses birth records for births in the state of NC. For more information, call Vital Records at 919-733-3526.

Can the Register of Deeds tell me who owns property at a specific address?

How do I obtain a copy of my deed?

  • The Register of Deeds office will provide deed copies at $.05 per page in person. You may also request a copy by mail.

How do I obtain a copy of the map to my property?

Where can I get a tax map/P.I.N. map, or aerial map?

How do I find out about outstanding liens (mechanics liens) and judgments?

  • Contact the Clerk of Court office in the Courthouse at 336-372-3900.

What steps do I take to get married?

  • You must obtain a marriage license. The license is valid for sixty days. In other words, the license will expire if the parties do not marry within sixty days. No appointment is necessary when applying for the marriage license. However, marriage licenses are only issued between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Absolutely no marriages will be issued after 4:30 p.m. The cost of the marriage license is $60.00. Cash/checks are accepted. A religious officiant or a magistrate may perform the ceremony. For more information, please refer to this website under Marriages or call our office at 336-372-4342.

Once I have obtained a marriage license, who do I speak with about a civil ceremony or marriage by the magistrate?

  • Marriages are performed in the Law Enforcement Center by a magistrate. The fee is $20.00. Please call 336-372-4911 for magistrate information regarding the ceremony, office hours, etc.

How do I change my name after marriage?

  • You will need a certified copy of your marriage license for a name change on your driver’s license and your Social Security card. A form to change your name with Social Security is provided when applying for a marriage license.

How do I obtain a copy of my marriage license?

  • If your marriage took place in Alleghany County, you may request a copy by mail, in person, or request records online. Copies are available at least ten days after the wedding ceremony. To process the request, we need the names of parties to the marriage and the date of the marriage. A certified copy of a marriage license is $10.00. SASE is appreciated. Original marriage records from 1859 to present are stored in our office.

How do I obtain a copy of my divorce?

  • If the divorce was processed in Alleghany County, you may obtain a copy from the Clerk of Court’s office on the first floor of the Courthouse or please call 336-372-3900.

How do I file separation papers?

  • It is advisable to see an attorney. The recording fee is $26.00 for the first 15 pages and $4.00 for each additional page.
Miranda Roupe

Nicole Billings
Deputy Register of Deeds

Jacqueline Kirby Duncan
Assistant Registrar

County Administration Building
348 South Main St.

PO Box 186
Sparta, NC 28675
Phone: 336-372-4342
Fax: 336-372-2061
Department Links:
Fee Schedule
Search/View Deeds Online
Real Estate Checklist
Tax Certification
Uniform Commercial Code
Vital Records
Notary Public
Thank a Veteran Discount Program