If you have questions about our office or the services provided, you may find the answers here. If your answer is not found here, feel free to email this office at firstname.lastname@example.org, call this office at 336-372-4557, or drop by our office at 348 South Main Street, Sparta NC.
When does the Board of Elections meet?
- The Alleghany Board of Elections will meet the 2nd Friday of every month at 8:30 a.m. at the Board of Elections office located at 348 S. Main St., Lower Level 10, Sparta, NC, 28675 unless otherwise announced.
If I am registered as Unaffiliated, can I vote in the primary?
- Yes. You may choose which party primary you vote in. You specify a party at the polling place and receive the primary ballot for that party.
When can I register to vote?
- You may register to vote at any time. To vote in any particular election, your registration must be dated at least 25 days prior to the election.
Where do I register to vote?
- You may come into the Board of Elections office at 348 South Main Street. You can call this office and have a form mailed to you. Follow this link to download a Voter Registration Application/Update Form. You may register at the DMV office when you renew or obtain a driver’s license. You may register at the following public agencies: Social Services, Employment Security Commission, Alleghany County Health Department or the Alleghany County Library. You can come into the Board of Elections office at 348 S. Main Street and complete a voter registration form or call and have a form mailed to you.
How can I check my voter registration?
- You can call our office at 336-372-4557 during business hours or go to the following link: https://www.ncsbe.gov/VoterLookup.aspx?Feature=voterinfo.
Who can vote an absentee ballot?
- Any registered voter may obtain and vote an absentee ballot within the time frame as prescribed by law.
How do I change my political affiliation on my voter record?
- Every registered voter is mailed a voter identification card. On the back of this card there’s a form to complete to change party affiliation. Fill it out and mail to the Board of Elections Office at P.O. Box 65, Sparta, NC 28675. You must include your signature to validate the change in party. If you do not have your card, you must complete a new voter registration form with your new affiliation and submit it to the Board of Elections office.
How do I know where to vote?
- The voter identification card indicates the correct voting place for your address. When you move, fill out the back of the voter identification card to indicate your new mailing address, the new street address, and any other information requested on the card. Your signature is required to validate the changes. Mail or bring the card to the Board of Elections office. The correct voting place will be determined and a new card will be mailed to you at the new address. For voting purposes, precinct changes require 25 days to take effect. To check your polling place information click here. You can contact the Board of Elections office at any time to inquire as to which precinct you are in.
When is the Board of Elections office open?
- Office hours are Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., with a lunch break on most days.
Certified Elections Director
Deputy Certified Elections Director
348 South Main Street
PO Box 65
Sparta, NC 28675
NC Board of Elections